Born in Poland and raised in the cold ocean waters of Maine, Greg Lewandowski began scuba diving at age 9, running boats, and developing a strong love for being in the ocean at a young age. Today he takes us through his stories of living and working across the Caribbean, running scuba diving charters, fishing, and freediving on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai, his artistic approach to photography, and memorable moments with whales, sharks, manta rays, monk seals, and much more. You can find Greg on Instagram by his handle @seafeverh2o. And we can all cut way down on our plastic usage to help protect the environment and some of our favorite ocean animals we hear about today.
More highlights of our conversation:
- First experienced tropical water at age 15 in Honduras setting him on a path of travel throughout the Caribbean serving as scuba divemaster and instructor before landing on the south shore of Kauai where Greg lives today.
- Shares perspective on the spirit of Kauai and the ability for the island to either accept or reject people who move there.
- Greg talks about running scuba tours for Fathom Five Divers, the amazing diving in the water around Niihau and the animals found there.
- Most memorable experience underwater floating eye-to-eye with a juvenile hump back whale in the Turks and Caicos Islands
- Spending time in the water with Hawaiian Monk Seal, local sharks, mantas, spinner dolphins
- Operating tour boats in the unpredictable waters of Kauai
- Fishing for the pelagic game fish in the Hawaiian waters -- tunas, ono
- Artistry that goes into making lures from scratch
- Photography, favorite photo of a model on the beach just before a wave breaks around her
- Evolution of freediving as another way to interact in the ocean
- The abstract nature of bodybuilding relative to diving and being in the ocean (hint, wetsuits don't fit so well but you need less weight to dive :)
Thanks for sharing Greg's ocean life with us. Be sure to check him out on Instagram . You can also find fun stuff on the ThisOceanLife.TV website, Instagram, and Facebook, and Twitter. Host: Josh Pederson, @surfpaddletailgate